Thursday, January 10, 2008

how are you today?

On the car radio this morning, the local pundits were wondering: why is America so wacky. Hilary is a loser one day, and the rock star the next. Obama is a wunderkind on Monday, and a nobody on Tuesday. How could Iowa and New Hampshire be so far apart?

Time out for a quick fact check.

Iowa Delegate Count: Obama (16), Clinton (15)
NH Delegate Count: Obama (9), Clinton (9)

We as Americans talk about minor twists and turns as the be-all-and-end-all. We love to see major swings – up then down then up again. And it’s not confined to politics. We all do it, every day.

A ten-minute traffic jam in the morning “ruins your day”. Getting your hands on a Wii system “made our Christmas”. The burnt toast. The B+ grade. The one smile. That frown. The compliment. The put down.

How often do we define our lives by a series of small, relatively insignificant events? In the big picture, my life today is nearly identical to yesterday, and the day before that, and the day before that. But I am unwilling to accept consistency. So I jack up the importance of minor events to define my mood, my day, my feelings.

I the LORD do not change. MAL 3:6

God is consistent. The beginning and the end. Alpha and Omega. Even in His movement, His love, His mercy, His grace is never changing. And for some reason, he doesn’t get bored by that. Maybe if I center more of my life around Christ, I too can find that peace.

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. HEB 13:8

2 comments:

TK said...

Amen brother!!!

Anonymous said...

oh yes...the feelings.
humans adore feelings.
we like to base everything on them.
we like to feel,
and talk to people about how we feel, and we want to know how other people feel about how we feel...