Wednesday, May 30, 2007

On God and Baseball

May 30. The Yankees are in last place… 14-½ games out of first place. Sitting here tonight, my first thought is this: if I had $200 million to spend, we would never lose a game. Alas, checking my wallet, I’m only about $200 million short… which leads me to my second thought: are there any biblical insights that relate to the Yankee’s sudden demise?

Of course, growing up, I always “knew” that God was a Yankees fan. As the winners of 26 World Championships--more than any other team in sports--who could argue with the facts. But is that what the Lord really has to say about baseball?

My first stop is Matthew 5:1-12... The Beatitudes. “Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.” Does that mean Tampa Bay has a shot at the playoffs this year? Think not.

Psalm 146:2. “I will praise the LORD all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.” Did you ever see a player look up to the heavens after hitting a home run? Sometimes they will kiss their crucifix before circling the bases. Funny, but I feel an instant connection with players who openly display their faith. Equally funny, no one seems to be thinking about God after a strikeout…

1 Corinthians 16:13 “Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong.” Note: if this was Joe Torre’s pep talk before Monday’s 7-2 loss to the Blue Jays, it didn’t work.

Romans 5:3 “... because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance, character, and character, hope.” Ahh… so God was really a closet Red Sox fan all along!

1 Corinthians 9:25 “Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.” Maybe this is a good spot to end -- for no matter how the Yankees do this year, it will soon pass… but there are things I could be focused on instead that have eternal implications.

By the way… Yankees just scored 4 in the ninth to take the lead… Tampa Bay just lost so we’re already out of the cellar… isn’t there a reference in Hosea 2:15 about a door of hope??? Quick, hand me my Bible!

No comments: